Tuesday, March 16, 2010

GLEANINGS.....!

Before I got "sidetracked" in January and February because of an upcoming State of California DMV "Driver's Written Test" that I had to pass with less than four wrong answers in order to get a five-years' license, I promised you a little-known bit of information about Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973) that can't be found in any "official biography" of this World War II hero...this "ploy" is called a "teaser" in the newspaper world and among us female gender type of people.

But, before I do that, let me tell you about my morning at the Pasadena's DMV office on a Wednesday the first week of March. Skipping details of what it takes to get a Golden Senior "dame" presentable for public consumption, let's move ahead to where you find me standing in line at 7:00 a.m., with about 25 people in line ahead of me, and it's kinda cold for sunny California, to boot.

Every nationality and language was represented by those semi-defrosted bodies, some with coffee (I guess) in hand and one fella was chomping away on the most delicious smelling burrito I have ever been in the vicinity of! The Nora Roberts romance book I had brought along seemed so out-of-place (even I was embarrassed at the cover) that I quickly stuffed it back into my laden-down shoulder bag and tried to feign interest in the road construction work that was taking place on Rosemead Boulevard, like I was an off-duty Cal-Trans supervisor or something important like that. (Since my jacket did not have pockets, trying to find an attractive way to showcase my hands, while in a standing position, without looking like a nervous bank robber or test-taker, is simply too exhausting at my age so I, in the most demure way possible, took care of a couple of cuticles to make the wait worthwhile. It's called "nibble and spit".) And, guess what, I caught the eye of one of the nicest young men in the line...ever! (he was in my line of spit but, lucky for him, I glanced up for a brief instant.) About 26, of Vietnam ancestry, and he wanted to know the time of day...like it was then 8 a.m. (If that wasn't a pick-up line, I don't know what else would work as well with me....kids, I'm joshing here!)

Exchanging pleasantries took about five minutes, and I felt I knew him well enough to kind of "joke around a bit" and said..."What we really need now is some "Pre-Test Entertainment," you know, like they do just before the Rose Parade starts down Colorado Boulevard on New Year's Day." We continued our conversation...he went to the same school my three kids did, knew some of the same teachers and we were rolling right along "killing time" so to speak. Just about that time, two "in-liners" ran up to us and said..."Someone call 9-1-1, man down!"

Everyone swung into action, the fire truck came, the rescue truck came, the ambulance came, people got out of line,(literally) the male was transported to the hospital...David and I simply looked at each other and didn't say another word; thank goodness, the line started to move. But, we knew what each other was thinking. Some one's misfortune is not a laughing matter. The "man down" is doing just fine we later learned. One thing for sure, that incident took my mind off taking the Eye Examination and the Written Test which I did pass with 100%, and I am good for another five years! As they said when gold was discovered in this state of California..."Eureka!" I was out of the DMV office within an hour but no one will believe me on that one, either!

Now, about Eddie...Eddie wasn't born rich or famous and certainly not a hero when he first saw the light of day in 1890 in Columbus, Ohio. He did live a fascinating life, however, which, at one time, led him to Atlantic where he sold a Ford car or two. He loved car-racing from an early age, and more about those days can be found by typing his name under Search...great reading! Like the "five little Indians" at 210 Birch, he learned to roll his own cigarettes at the age of five and headed up a group of mischievous youngsters known at "The Horsehead Gang" of Columbus. We five rolled cigarettes for my Dad mostly, except for the time we tried to smoke cornsilk and Mom just happened to catch us. That woman could see whatever mischief we were just in the process of conjuring. Now, today, I can do the same, even from my house to theirs, and serves to keep my three kids on their tippy toes, you bet! (It's a "fey" thing...)

Anyway, Aunt Molly (Mom's sister) and Uncle Russ owned a family cafe where good food and good conversation were expected and served. Eddie would not be considered a "drifter" in those days, just a young man seeking a destiny... whatever it was he wanted to be when he grew up. It is on extremely reliable information, of course, that I know Aunt Molly and Uncle Russ decided they would "go the extra mile in making sure young Eddie had plenty of food, a good bed, and surrogate "parents" while he was in Atlantic." Whether or not Eddie kept in touch after Molly and Russ moved to Bellflower, California, and opened up another family-style restaurant, I know not, but I do know that even "heroes-in-progress" need a touch of tender, loving care just like you and I do. I am also convinced that Eddie thought more than once about his life and those people who were so important to him in reaching his destiny while waiting for his rescue (after three weeks floating around)from the vast Pacific Ocean so many years ago.

The highs-and-lows of Eddie's complete history is awesome...take a minute to check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Naughty sprite, smoking cornsilk -- what were you thinking?

    It is really too bad that young people really can't travel "the roads" to find themselves anymore without either putting themselves in serious danger, becoming permanently homeless or drug-addicted, or arrested for being derelict. I think it was an excellent way to develop character, an appreciation for hard work and what you had, and how to treat people honestly and fairly. Now kids get out of high school and immediately go to work in low income jobs or to college where they exercise their freedom from home to drink themselves into stupidity (in general).

    I'll have to look Eddie up some time.

    ReplyDelete